COVID-19 has changed the way we shop and with Christmas fast approaching, many of us are choosing to conduct our festive shopping online.
This transition to the online marketplace brings with it an increased cyber security risk for all users, requiring additional vigilance to avoid scamming websites, phishing emails and other avenues of malicious intent.
The National Cyber Security Centre has published 8 tips to help you and your family enjoy a secure online shopping experience:
- Choose where you shop - Seeing a padlock in the address bar is a guarantee the shop itself is legitimate.
- Don't give away too much information – Only fill out mandatory details that are required to process the purchase. Be cautious if they ask for any additional information.
- Keep your device up to date – Make sure you install the latest software and app updates, as these usually contain important security updates.
- Use strong passwords – Secure your important accounts with a good password, especially your email.
- Turn on two-factor authentication (2FA) - 2FA is a way for the service you're using to double check that you really are the person you claim to be, when logging in.
- Use a password manager - If you have lots of accounts, the temptation to re-use passwords and usernames is pretty strong. A good way to get around this is to use a password manager.
- Take care with links in emails and texts – Some emails or texts you receive about amazing offers may contain links to fake websites.
- When things go wrong – If you think you may have fallen victim to a fake website or scam, close your internet browser and report the details to Fraud Action.
SecuriGroup is the only physical security provider in the UK approved to certify businesses with Cyber Essentials and Cyber Essentials Plus. To find out how SecuriGroup can help keep you and your business stay safe, check out our cyber security offerings.
For all media enquiries, please contact the SecuriGroup Communications team at firstname.lastname@example.org
SecuriGroup is one of the UK's leading security companies, rated within the top 5% by the Security Industry Authority. SecuriGroup is part of the ACS Hall of Fame and is a winner of the prestigious Security Excellence Awards ACS Champion of the Year.
An SIA Approved Contractor, Investors in People organisation, industry accredited for operational excellence; SecuriGroup is an organisation led by industry experts and is focused on meeting the challenges of a modern security industry.