Safe Shopping Online this Festive Season
As Black Friday and Cyber Monday approaches, it's crucial to prioritise online safety while shopping. Last year, millions of people were caught in online scams during the sales. To ensure that you don't become a victim this year, we've compiled a list of ten safety tips that you can use while shopping online.
1. Use secure websites: Always look for the padlock icon in the address bar and "https" in the URL to ensure that the website is secure.
2. Use strong passwords: Create unique passwords for each account and use a password manager to keep track of them.
3. Avoid public Wi-Fi: Public Wi-Fi networks are not secure, so avoid using them when shopping online.
4. Enable two-factor authentication: Add an extra layer of security to your accounts by enabling two-factor authentication.
5. Be cautious of phishing scams: Be wary of emails or messages that ask for personal information or contain suspicious links.
6. Check your bank statements: Regularly check your bank statements for any unauthorized transactions.
7. Use a credit card: Use a credit card instead of a debit card when shopping online as credit cards offer better fraud protection.
8. Keep your software up-to-date: Ensure that your operating system, web browser, and antivirus software are up-to-date to have the latest security patches.
9. Don't overshare: Avoid sharing too much personal information online, such as your home address or phone number.
10. Be sceptical of deals that are too good to be true: If a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is.
For more information, you can check out the National Cyber Security Centre's article on Black Friday scams. https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/news/black-friday-bargain-hunters-warned-of-enhanced-online-scams-after-millions-lost-last-year
For all media enquiries, please contact the SecuriGroup Communications team at firstname.lastname@example.org
SecuriGroup is rated within the top 1% of approved UK security companies by our Home Office regulator, the Security Industry Authority.
Strengthening the society in which we live, and an Investors in People Gold organisation, SecuriGroup provides innovative and expert solutions to our clients’ security needs. A two-time winner of ACS Champion of the Year, our security management approach shapes the future of the industry by combining physical, electronic, and cyber security to augment our service delivery.