CCTV use is on an unprecedented rise, with the average person captured on camera an estimated 300 times per day.
Yet many businesses are unaware that failing to follow a strict set of Data Protection regulations could render their footage useless, leaving them on the wrong side of the law.
There is one camera per every 14 people in the UK, but it is understood that as many as 90% of CCTV systems fail to meet the requirements outlined by the Data Protection Act.
The implications of this vary, but in extreme cases organisations risk having images depicting crime deemed inadmissible in court.
With CCTV footage often providing vital evidence in cases, this has the potential to be extremely detrimental.
There are a range of detailed rules listed in the CCTV Data Protection Act (DPA), with topics including signage, the location of the cameras, access to the images and the documentation held by the company.
DID YOU KNOW?
- CCTV systems must be assessed every 12 months for DPA compliance
- Signs must be clearly visible, correct worded and suitably located
- The recording and storage device(s) must be fully protected in a secure area
- Only trained and authorised people may be exposed to monitors which display CCTV images
The Data Protection Act has eight key principles for all data, stating that it must be:
- Obtained fairly and lawfully
- Processed for the specific purpose as stated by your company
- Adequate and relevant – not excessive
- Not kept longer than necessary
- Processed in line with individual's rights
- Always secure with adequate security precautions
- Not transferred outwith the EU without adequate protection
Contact SecuriGroup Systems
Contact our Systems division today to arrange a site survey and ensure your CCTV system meets current compliance requirements.
For all media enquiries, please contact the SecuriGroup Communications team at email@example.com
SecuriGroup is one of the UK's leading security companies, rated within the top 5% by the Security Industry Authority. SecuriGroup is part of the ACS Hall of Fame and is a winner of the prestigious Security Excellence Awards ACS Champion of the Year.
An SIA Approved Contractor, Investors in People organisation, industry accredited for operational excellence; SecuriGroup is an organisation led by industry experts and is focused on meeting the challenges of a modern security industry.